I’m optimistically calling this “part 1” as I have plans! Big plans!! Which is why I’m starting so early. C starts junior school in September, and for the first time will be required to wear a uniform. So I thought it would be nice to make some of the uniform myself, especially as she’ll be wearing it every day. I’m aiming for two gingham dresses and two black skirts…which is why I’m starting now.
For the first dress, I decided to go with the traditional look and use the Oliver + S Jumprope Dress pattern. I started cutting this out back in May… It took me a while to sew this one up (about a week of sewing squeezed into bits of evenings!) but I progressed slowly and steadily (!) and nothing much went wrong. Apart from I made such a mess of one of the sleeve tabs I had to cut out a whole new one. This was completely my fault though, as I ignored Liesl’s handy hint – to use tissue paper under the fabric to help stabilise it as it’s such a small piece. I used the tissue paper second time round though, and it did the trick!: There was a slight button dilemma and my girls and I spent at least fifteen minutes sitting on the floor by the buttons in John Lewis, with the dress, trying out all sort of buttons… in the end we went with four-leaf-clover buttons and since they only had five of those left, strawberries for the pockets We tried it on, the model wouldn’t stay still… It’s a little big, but that’s good – I want it to fit in September!